Sunday, January 24, 2010

Rainy Days

The storms that visit us about once every 5 years, also known as "El Nino" are upon us. This past week it poured and stormed for 6 days straight, and so we were pretty much locked indoors for that entire time. Literally.


To prepare for the predicted storms, I had put up some Christmas presents of Christian's as "rainy day toys". These were special toys that I knew would keep him occupied for a while. Among them were Melissa and Doug blocks...






We brought these blocks out on Monday and Danny and Christian built towers and then Christian swiftly tore them down. That game wore daddy out, but was hilarious to watch!

We played lots of puzzles, play-dough, Memory, colored, danced, cooked, baked, acted silly and rough housed (I took his mind off of his bum foot by taking part in his head getting bonked pretty good on our tile floor). Jonathan was a doll, as always. They both took pretty decent naps for the most part, and I think that could be in part due to the lovely pitter patter of the rain on the roof combined with the dark sky. However, closer to the end of the week, Christian was getting a little stir crazy. He broke 5 heavy duty glass candle holders (while he was counting them...1-5! Good boy!), threw two remote controls into my cup of water, poured all of the soap out of two bottles of body wash, dumped all of the Q-tips out of a container in the bathroom, among other things. Finally, I just put him in his snow clothes and let him go play in the rain.



At some points we had a river going down our street, but that was the extent of the craziness that we witnessed with these storms. By Friday night, however, cabin fever had gotten the best of me and I begged Danny to let me leave for an hour. I sat at Starbucks for 45 minutes, watched the rain, people watched, and enjoyed my independence thoroughly before returning to my mommy duties. I think I need to do that more often.

Christian is using his Handy Manny tools to "fix" our stool while Jonathan contentedly plays in the exersaucer. What a lovely sight.




Some church friends have given us some more games that will be rainy day games for the next round of storms. Look out, fun is ahead!

4 comments:

Rhonda said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
'tana nana said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Christy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Crystal Keilers, that's me. said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...