Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Laboring Weekend




I am not sure if it was an HGTV / DIY channel induced decision, or a subliminal desire to "labor" on this past 3 day weekend, but...well....let's just say I got a little ambitious.






A couple of weeks ago Danny used a gift card he received for his birthday to purchase a new pantry door. He hung it himself on Friday night, and boy does it look good! (I decorated the ledge above...not diggin it...will adjust...but it will do for now)





And then came Saturday...I took Christian to Salvation Army, Big Lots and Home Depot in search of a few things. I wore him out...he passed out in the shopping cart at Home Depot (poor little guy) in the middle of the lumber aisle. After getting our supplies, we headed home where he napped and I began a project. Here is the finished result of project number one:








Basically, I refinished the cabinets in our bathroom (they were a bit beat up and were oak colored, which didn't match the rest of our bedroom) and added hardware. What a difference! I also picked up a stool at Ikea, painted it, covered it with some material I had found in the trash at our Orange apartment a couple of years ago and Voila...a new vanity seat (though I will be modifying it...need it cut it a couple of inches).



The cabinets really took up the majority of my weekend, as I could only work on them during Christian's nap times and after he went to bed. Sunday Danny went to a baseball game with my brother in laws and father in law, so I was on my own with my Christian. We did a short shopping trip prior to another Home Depot run.



Monday we headed to Orange County where we headed straight for Ikea. I have to say, I love Ikea. We picked up a few things (oh, how I love organizational items...I could have bought the whole store if we had the money!) and headed home, making a couple stops on the way back. Then it was back to projects: Danny hung a new valance and roman shade in our kitchen, I assembled our new bathroom cabinets. Into the early evening Danny said he was going to make a quick stop at a friend's birthday party. 1 1/2 hours later, I got a call from him saying that he was on the way to the hospital. He dislocated his shoulder. (Yes...again. This is the 3rd time he's done this since we've been married in as many years). He assured me that there were people taking care of him, so I stayed home with my sleeping kiddo and worked more.

Last night I sanded a piece of plywood, primed it and painted it (after cutting a hole in it for a trash can...bent a blade in the process). I wanted a folding counter for my laundry, so I made one! It isn't complete...I am going to add a strip of wood on a hinge with a handle to the center...to hide the items I need semi-regularly that I store between the water and dryer. I also have some finishing touches to make...but at least I got the big part out of the way! Oh, and I added hardware to the cabinets and hung a towel bar on the back of one of the doors for hangers. I also have a handy little hanger holder that I have sitting on the folding counter.

After Danny got home from the hospital, I washed the blood off his shorts (another story for another time), did a load of laundry, fixed him food, and swept the house before falling into bed. I was a bit tired, but so proud of myself!

I hope you all had a great weekend too!

P.S. - Don't you think we should have a recovery day after a three day weekend? I sure could use one!

P.S.S. - Our digital camera still isn't working. Don't know what to do about it right now, but was able to squeeze these pictures out of our old camera.

7 comments:

Kelly said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jessica said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Linds said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Crystal said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Christy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
'tana nana said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...