1/2 lb fully cooked smoked chicken sausage, coarsely chopped
1 lb fresh cremini mushrooms, sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 large garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 lb pizza dough, at room temperature (I used a whole wheat recipe)
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees. Open the window so that you don't melt. Pull out your skillet, spray it with non-stick cooking spray, and throw it onto the stove over a medium-high heat. Toss in the sausage, and cook until lightly browned. Transfer sausage to a bowl.
- Add mushrooms and onion to the skillet, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms release their liquid, it evaporates, and they turn golden.
- Stir in the garlic, but cook only about 1 minute (over-cooked garlic is bitter and icky). Add mushroom mixture to sausage and let cool. Stir in the cheeses.
- Sprinkle work surface lightly with flour and turn pizza dough onto surface. Knead lightly. Cut dough in half. Roll one half into a 12" circle and place on pizza stone. Add mushroom/sausage mixture to center of dough to 3/4" from the edge. Brush outer edge with water.
- Roll out remaining dough into a 12" circle and place it on top of filling. Press the edges together to seal into a nice little package. Crimp with your fingers. Cut 5 (2") slits into the top of the dough. Bake until the crust is golden, approximately 15 minutes. Let cool 5-10 minutes. Cut into 8 pieces and serve, or allow to cool completely and serve at room temperature (YUMMY).
- 8 servings total, 5 ww points each.
Hubby loved, as did I, and this is DEFINITELY a "make-again". Enjoy!
* Recipe courtesy of Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook