Thursday, November 4, 2010

Accidentally Turning Green

Photo courtesy of treehugger.com
If you know anything about me, then you might know that I'm more often counter-culture on trends than a bandwagon sort of gal.  With this in mind, I have to say, I think I'm turning green.  ::Shudder::

Now, don't get me wrong.  I don't hate the earth.  I don't burn my trash, litter on the freeway and crush styrofoam cups just for the fun of it.  I just haven't gone out of my way to reuse or recycle every plastic container or piece of paper that I come across.

HOWEVER, hot hubby and I are working hard to change our financial situation, and in doing that I've been paying more attention to everything.  We are cutting the fat on our budget....I put my gym membership on hold along with other things.  Cutting the fat on our grocery bill was really up to me, and so I am....dun dun dun....going green.

I purchased 25lbs of flour, 13 lbs of baking soda, 10 lbs of sugar, a huge bottle of vanilla and 2 lbs of yeast at Costco yesterday.  With all the baking that I do this time of year for gifts, birthdays, parties and church events, it only makes sense.  I also am using a "Quick Mix" book to put together mixes to make time in the kitchen faster.  In fact, I used one of those mixes today to make our bread for the next week.  YUP....I'm going to be making our bread from now on.  (So fiscally responsible and healthy of me!)

I will be sharing tips as I come across them on this journey, but here are a few I've learned thus far:

Baking Soda:  It is a leavening agent, yes.  It also deodorizes your refrigerator, freezer and cabinets.  But did you know you can use it to clean without scratching?  I used to buy Bon Ami for my pots and pans, as I need something abrasive but not too abrasive, but am now using baking soda.  It also can be used to brighten clothes in the wash (will let you know how my laundry ends up....clothes are currently in the dryer).

Vinegar: Combined with baking soda, it can leaven cakes without eggs.  I use vinegar to clean both coffee makers (yes both...I'm not THAT green, yet) once a month to keep them running optimally.  I also use a splash of vinegar in my dishwasher with every load to boost cleaning power.

I have two loaves of bread staring at me and my one year old yelling for me to rescue him from the confines of his crib, so that is all I'll share for now.  But trust me...there will be more to come.

1 comment:

Shannon Spears said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...