Saturday, November 13, 2010

Fun Friday - A Visit with a Veteran


This week for Fun Friday we celebrated Veteran's Day a day later by visiting my brother at the Marine Corps base in Twentynine Palms.  I packed a lunch and snacks and we got ready for the 1 1/2 hour drive out to see him.

Once there I was overwhelmed with a feeling of gratitude.  As you approach the base, you are greeted with countless banners welcoming home heroes from deployment.  Once on base, I was reminded of the sacrifice these men and women make on a daily basis.  Though the base is all-inclusive, the freedoms that you and I share aren't shared by the people that make them possible.  If you want to visit a serviceman (or woman), you have to have go through security.  You must have permission.

The barracks my brother lives in was another reminder of his sacrifice.  The room was bare, except for two beds and a dresser.  The one bathroom is shared by four men, which is actually a great ratio considering what they deal with in boot camp and on deployment.

Jake has a great attitude, nonetheless, and he was even more thrilled that I brought him his most dear possession: his beloved Taylor guitar.  He uses music to cope with the joys and discouragements in life, and that guitar is invaluable.

Once we were ready to go, Christian had several fun little conversations with his uncle.  "Uncle Jake, I have fun with you.  Can you come to our house?" "Uncle Jake, you are AMAZING!"  "Uncle Jake, can you come over and get my toys off the roof?"  Christian loves his uncle.  (Sidenote - Yesterday was Veteran's Day and Christian was thankful for his Uncle Jake)

Driving the long journey home, I thanked God for my brother.  I hope that you also thank God for the Veteran's that sacrifice so much for us every day.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...