Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Journey of a Chicken

I generally like to make a whole chicken every week, or every other week.  This is why.
An egg is laid.  A chick hatched.  A chicken grows, and lives a full and happy life.  It goes the way of the VHS.  After packaging and a ride in what I'd imagine are luxurious digs, Chicken Little (along with his brother) ends up in my Costco, where I welcome him to the family. 

There are a few different ways I like to prepare the little chicken for his trip to the ultimate sauna.  One of my favorite ways is to fill him with fresh herbs and onion slices, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and blast him in a 450 degree over.  After he gets a good tan, we enjoy him, along with roasted veges.


Chicken Little's meat is then separated from the bones, and the bones are thrown into a crockpot with carrots, celery, a bay leaf, onions, etc.  (I have also put them into a freezer ziplock bag for future use) and bathed in a warm bath for 8 hours.  The stock then is frozen for flavoring other dishes.

The next day the meat can be used a thousand different ways.  Lately I've been a big fan of chicken pot pie in all its flaky, golden, comforting goodness (though this affair must end if my waistline has any hope of being whittled).


Chicken Little has served us well, and his brother will too.

2 comments:

Jessica said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Amy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...