Sunday, January 9, 2011

"Loving" Can be Challenging

In keeping with my "Challenge" theme of this new year, I've chosen to be a bit more transparent with you all. As of late, this verse has been resting with great weight on my heart.

 Matthew 5:43-48

43"You have heard that it was said, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR and hate your enemy.' 44"But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46"For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? 47"If you greet only your brothers, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? 48"Therefore you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect. 

 I generally try to be likeable, and to like others.  I prefer the underdog, and will seek the beauty in all I encounter.  When I am wronged, I generally am able to pick myself up, dust myself off, and start all over again.  However, I've found this to be quite challenging as of late.

In my husband's current role as Pastor, I've struggled with "moving on" when people who know better wrong him.  I also have been toting around the burden of bitterness regarding a very deep pain caused by a few people in recent years.

I know what I need to do.  I know I need to move on and forgive, extending grace to those who have wronged me / us.  But when I am reminded constantly of the wrongs, it is increasingly difficult to do so.  It seems that it is an injustice if those who hurt others aren't also hurt in some way.

And so I cling to this passage.  If I am called to be a daughter of the Most High, I am also called to love.  I am called to walk with grace.  I am called to perfection.  And if I trust the Most High, than I must also trust that he is the ultimate Judge, and justice (and vengeance) is His, and His alone.

This all is impossible, but through He who sends the rain on the wicked and the good.  May this challenge to love, pray, forgive and pour out grace on those who wrong me be complete and thorough.

4 comments:

The Allen Family said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Eileen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Eileen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
tascha said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...