Thursday, June 2, 2011

Raised Beds Kitchen Garden

Two years ago I decided to test how green my thumb was by *attempting* a vegetable garden.  I planted carrots, green beans, lettuce, cilantro, peas, cucumbers, tomatoes, basil, peppers and a strawberry plant.  I actually harvested one tomato and lots of basil.  The carrots looked more akin to a science experiment gone wrong, and I had no idea how to harvest lettuce.  Needless to say, I learned quite a bit.

I took last year off and focused more on gardening other areas of our yard.  This year, I decided to get serious.  I cleared a larger section of the yard, rototilled the land, utilized local friends for llama compost, and of course built raised beds (complete with chicken wire to keep out any tempted gophers).  At the end of the day, it was a larger task than I anticipated, but one I hope will pay off.

 That right there is 20 square feet of raised beds prime for vegetable growing.  I adore this space.


The bed on the bottom left is reserved for my eggplant vine.  Top left: Italian Parsley, Jalapeno Pepper, Anaheim Pepper, Green Bell Pepper, Basil and 3 rows of green onions (growing from seeds).  Top Right: Cherry Tomatoes, Dill (from seed), Parsley (from seed), Cauliflower (from seed), Lettuce (from seed).

Top left: Giant Organic Pumpkin (from seed), Top right: Tomato, Dill (from seed), Tomato, Dill (from seed), Green Beans (from seed), and Snap Peas (from seed).  Bottom right: Crook-Neck Squash (from seed).

I'm working with my 3 year old's curiosity and allowing him limited access to my sanctuary.  Hey, if you can't beat'em, join'em!

We are also putting in fresh grass in the side yard, so that the kiddos can play while I garden.
 Along with these plants, I have a mint plant (potted to control its size) and a cilantro plant (potted, to avoid a quick bolt on a warm day).  I've also planted other goodies on the other side of the house. 

Gardening makes my heart happy.  :)  Well, as long as I don't get scary tomato worms eating my plants again.  That makes me less happy and more grossed out.

2 comments:

Rhonda said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jessica said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...