Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Summer Bounty

The small town of Nuevo, where I live, is much more agricultural / rural than any other place I have lived.  In the past few years, my sleep deprivation has kept me from truly enjoying what this means.  This summer, however, I am soaking up the bounty of summer.

As you know, I have my first kitchen garden and to say that I am enjoying it is an understatement.  I pick straightneck squash, basil, lettuce and tomatoes almost daily. 



How do I use them?  Well....

Fresh salsa, anyone?  True, I didn't grow the onion or garlic, and my cilantro bolted the day the sun came out, but the tomatoes and jalapenos make for a tasty pico de gallo!


Caprese.  I know I've said it before and I'll say it again, I LOVE this salad.  Hubby and I will eat it every day as long as we have tomatoes and basil in my garden (and have access to fresh mozarella!). 

I also have friends and family in the community that are happy to pass along some of their excess, and I'm happy to take it off their hands!

My friend, Nancy Varga (or "Miss Nancy" to Christian) loaded me up with this beautiful bounty the last time we visited her.  Summer squash, extra ripe tomatoes an acorn squash and fresh eggs.  My mind was swirling with possibilities as I drove home that day.

I peeled and chopped the ripe tomatoes, a fresh zucchini from my mother-in-law's garden, parsley, basil and oregano from my garden and the added the rest of my fixins' to make this DELICIOUS spaghetti sauce. This was a make-again.
 
We have been tossing the squash with olive oil, salt and pepper and grilling it almost daily for dinner, and making fresh salads from my lettuce and tomatoes.  I've also made several grilled margharita pizzas with the basil and tomatoes from my garden.  I hoped to have an over-abundance of tomatoes to can for the winter, but I don't see that happening with the way we have been using our arrivals.  :)

Each day that I visit my kitchen garden or am blessed with the bounty of the gardens that my friends and family till, I am reminded of the provision that comes only from above.  God is good.

Happy cooking!

2 comments:

Jessica said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
cKAja said...

thankyou for sharing this receips

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...