Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving 2010

We hosted Thanksgiving dinner this year, and has I mentioned previously, the busyness of the preparation actually helped aid in my mental and spiritual preparation as well.  Every chore, "to-do list" and late night led me to a profound thankfulness.
One of my favorite parts of preparation: setting the table.  I just love it!

As I was preparing for the day, I watched a smidgen of the Food Network, and caught Martha Stewart's Thanksgiving special from last year.  She inspired my centerpiece for this year:

White pumpkin centerpiece
 The white pumpkins were leftover decorations from the Autumn decor at the church, so they were FREE.  The leaves I already had out, so I literally moved them from one table to the other.  The candles were also recycles from the cabinet.  Total cost of the center piece: FREE.  :-)

Hello me lady.  I love you, truly I do.
 My 20lb turkey bathed in brine for 24 hours, was injected with the finest of homemade marinades and then slowly roasted for 5 hours, occasionally brushed with butter and juices.  (I am salivating typing this, and I'm still full!) 
The finished product was moist, delicious and delicious.  Did I repeat myself?  It really was YUM.
There is life outside the kitchen on Thanksgiving (who knew?).  Christian ran around all day (as usual), hamming it up at every opportunity.

Christian Daniel - 3 years old
 And (this part is new) Jonathan ran around too!  He has pretty much done away with the careful walking bit and is on a mission to sprint at every opportunity.  This makes for interesting dinner prep.

Jonathan Augustine - 13 1/2 months old (and teething)

Tears and tantrums quickly followed this shot, but you'd never guess it!
 Danny's parents celebrated with us.  Debbie brought her infamous green bean casserole, cranberries and the biggest Apple Pie I've ever seen.

The beginning of dinner...don't mind the fact that Danny is feeding marshmallows to Christian...that's how we roll.
 The menu: Turkey, dressing (which was made from stale homemade bread, adding to flavor and subtracting from the costs), green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, rolls, gravy and cranberry sauce.  For dessert: Apple Pie, Pumpkin Pie and homemade vanilla bean ice cream with fresh-brewed coffee.  YUM.

Christian shared his Thanksgiving tree with his grandparents
'Twas a fabulous day.  My cup runneth over.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...