Saturday, October 16, 2010

Autumn in the Flores Home

There is no question about it, this is by far my favorite time of year.  For our family, Autumn begins with a trip to the L.A. County Fair, and just gets better from there.  Pumpkin Spice Lattes, fresh apples from Oak Glen, fall decor, it all is too wonderful.  The aromas of Autumn are my favorite.  Everything from the crisp air peppered with the smell of fires in fireplaces to the pumpkin items of the day in my oven, my heart leaps in Autumn.

The baking has begun!  Left to right: Toffee coffee cookies, raspberry cheesecake cake balls, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin fudge.)
We have a favorite candle from Yankee Candle that we burn that is nostalgic from an Autumn trip to Lake Tahoe with our dear friends, the Hekmans.  As these candles aren't in the budget, I've come up with an alternative that is much more affordable.


I continually fill a small pot with apple cores, peels, older apples, etc.  I put mulling spices in with it, cover with water and simmer.  For hours.  Ah, the smell of Autumn.
 As I mentioned, a trip to Oak Glen is a MUST.  For the past several years, we have made this trip with the Hekmans.  This year was no exception, though it was exceptional.  (I will post about this amazing time soon.)

Oak Glen apples in an old hand-me-down basket.  We had 10lbs of Starkey Delicious apples and this is all that is left.  Oh, and the cider?  "Phenomenal" is an understatement.  Fughetaboutit.
 I count down until the Autumnal Equinox, and decorate as close to the official day as possible.  Even when it is 100 degrees outside.  Yup, I'm THAT crazy lady.


Orange, red and golds have overrun our home, and I'm going to enjoy every second of it!

2 comments:

Rhonda said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Shannon said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...